In response to the request submitted by the Pennsylvania School Bus Association, Pennsylvania Department of Transportation granted the extension to waive the annual physical exam requirement for school bus drivers under 67 Pa. Code §71.3.
The waiver applies to any school bus driver with proof of a valid physical exam that expired on or after March 13, 2020.
School bus drivers who need a new physical exam have until July 31, 2020 to complete one.
According to PennDOT, this waiver does not apply to:
- drivers who cannot provide proof of physical exam expiring after March 13, 2020;
- new drivers who have never competed a physical exam;
- drivers who have been diagnosed with a medical condition that would disqualify the driver from operating a school bus, since their last physical exam;
- drivers who have developed a condition that requires a medical waiver, since their last physical exam; and
- drivers required to undergo additional 3-month examinations under 67 Pa. Code §71.3(b)(4)(B)(I) unless the driver has completed the required 3-month exam.
For more information about the waiver and to schedule a physical exam, click here.